Colossians: Week 2

Rooted in Him.

We’re so glad you’re here as we come to the end of our second week of study in Colossians. But we also encourage you to find a steady fellowship of faithful friends to journey with through His Word. It makes the journey so much richer.

Lord, fill us with a heart to know You through Your Word, by Your Spirit, and within a faith community. Amen.

Meditating on the Word.

We began our study of Colossians: Rooted in Him by emphasizing the spiritual practice of meditating on God’s Word. Consuming it in a manner that makes it come to life in our words and actions. One way to do this is to plot, plan, make note of, what Scripture says about you and God.

At the end of each week of study we find the week’s Memory Verse. It’s the way this study is formatted: A week of study followed by a verse to memorize. Be sure to take hold of these verses, don’t let them be an afterthought. Find a way to add them to your daily study.

We know memorization is not always easy, but it is a way to work the Word into our minds so it might move to our hearts. However, there are many different ways to be attentive to Memory Verses without the pressure of memorizing.

• Write them each day before your time of study.
  • Read them out loud.
  • Turn them into a prayer.
  • Write them out in your own words.

The most important thing is not memorization, but coming to understand what God’s Word means and what He’s speaking to you through it.

How are you handling the Memory Verses?

When I came to the end of Week One and its Memory Verse, I decided to start Week Two at the end, with the Memory Verse.

I noticed the verses for these first two weeks were one sentence in the translation used in Colossians: Rooted in Him. As a way to set them before me more regularly I wrote them in my journal one after the other on the right side of the page, leaving room on the left to make notes as I turned to them during my study time.

One morning as I read through the Memory Verses, I was inspired to ask three specific questions of these verses:
Who am I?
Who is God?
What am I to do?

Handling memory verses.

It was a discipline that opened my heart to seek what God says about who I am, who He is, and what He calls me to do in response.

Really, that’s the heart of why we meditate on His Word, plotting ways to find out what He is saying through His Spirit to us.

I secretly wondered why the memory verse was at the end of the week instead of the beginning. It left me feeling a bit out of sorts. It’s as if I was already behind in the memorization.

Each day I flipped to the memory verse found on page 27. As I read it each day I asked God to show me, His chosen, holy and dearly loved child, where I put on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. I humbly prayed He would reveal my shortcomings. While I’m not sure I memorized the Scripture word for word, turning His Word into a personal prayer became a way of meditation.

Studying the Book.

The Daily Grace study of Colossians is not only filled with wonderful teaching it also has a beautiful aesthetic as well.

TheDailyGraceCo.com

Have you noticed the photography that goes with each day of study?

Is there one that spoke to you or drew you in some way?

On page 42 there is a picture of a simple white chair with a woven blanket of bright colors. The caption reads, “Salvation is found only in Jesus.” One of the lessons I’m learning in my current season is how to find comfort in Jesus alone. I find comfort in knowing there is always an empty chair waiting for me in the Father’s presence.

Discuss the Word.

The study of Colossians takes us at a slow and steady pace. The second week covered just nine verses. Let’s review them.

Read Colossians 1:11-20

How would you paraphrase this week’s verses?

As I considered writing a paraphrase, a song I recently learned played in my thoughts, He makes a way where there ain’t no way. Rises up from an empty grave. Ain’t no sinner that he can’t save. Let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus.

I wrote:
Have you heard? If not, let me tell you ‘bout my Jesus. He’s powerful enough to strengthen you to endure and persevere through any circumstance, all the while joyfully giving thanks. Because through Him all things were created. Every single thing you see and don’t see. Even the atoms hold together because of Him. He redeems, reconciles, and transfers us to His Kingdom–Light Kingdom. Where He carries our burdens and makes a way for us to come home. Not only that–He walks with us all the way.

Now. I can say so!

Is there a specific day that stood out to you this week?

God has done the work of our salvation, and He will preserve us and allow us to persevere in His grace. (p.36, bold added)

I realized this week with the help of my brother I have allowed fear to rule my decisions lately. The thing is my hubby and I are facing some big decisions in the near future, and I’m terrified to make the wrong one. I play the what if game over and over. What if this happens? What if I make the wrong decision? What if I don’t do what God wants? I’m honestly beginning to annoy myself with all this quivering.

This sentence sparked a new idea in me. A question I began asking myself. Do I believe God will preserve me? All this ‘what if’ stuff has me thinking I have an unbelief issue. The truth is God will preserve me. When I am seeking His will, the only path He allows is the one that brings me closer to Him. The pain and heartache along the way is an opportunity to persevere in His grace.

What did you learn about God’s character? About your condition?

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
Colossians 1:15-17 (emphasis added)

One way I processed the Scripture this last week was to write it in my journal, double-spaced as suggested. When I came to these particular verses regarding Christ’s supremacy it struck me afresh. In Him ALL things were created… visible and invisible… powers… rulers… authorities…

Where I am in my current season of life, I think a lot about the powers, rulers, and authorities at work in the world — in this present darkness. So the truth that these powers, the ones Ephesians 6 tells us are the real enemy, were created in Jesus, by Jesus, and for Jesus. All are at His command for His purpose and pleasure. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.

It was a bit of a perplexing moment. I marked it with : / .

In His supremacy, He thinks it best to let these dark powers rule… but they don’t really rule. Whatever havoc they wreak He uses for His ultimate purpose: rescuing us from the dominion of darkness and bringing us into His Kingdom of light.

It pleased Him so much, God sent His Son as a container of Himself in order to pour out all of His infiniteness to rescue us. He even knew not everyone would be saved. This is a truly AWESOME understanding of God. He set the world and all its powers in motion, knowing it would go terribly awry, people and angels abusing free will and rebelling against their Creator. But the thought of having more to love — no matter the cost — was a good idea to Him.

As I think about all He did… does… will do… I am truly humbled. It shines a new light on who He is and who I am before Him: one desperately in need of rescuing who doesn’t have any idea what’s really good for them. But God does.

A song came to mind while I read this week’s passage: Great are You Lord by All Sons and Daughters.

‘You give life, You are love
You bring light to the darkness
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken
And great are You, Lord

It’s Your breath in our lungs
So we pour out our praise
We pour out our praise
It’s Your breath in our lungs
So we pour out our praise to You only’

He is the All in ALL! He is the reason for everything and our every breath.
Each moment of our lives should be poured out for Him just like He poured Himself out for us.
It is HIS breath in our lungs.

How have you responded this week?

This week’s study has been a bit of a reality check for me about the state of the world and me.

I desperately need to pray for His strength and power to live in the Kingdom of Light while still residing in the present darkness of this world.

I need to remember this world is not my home. It will be uncomfortable, therefore I need His strength to persevere in the suffering with joy and thanks.

I need to see things — all things — in the light of who He is. Remembering ALL powers are under His supremacy.

I also feel a call to pray for others as Paul did. Praying for God to provide strength and perseverance to those I love who I see struggling with faith. And pray for those who have not yet been set free from the dominion of darkness.

What step is He calling you to take? What emotions arise when you consider taking that step?

Coming out of the darkness and into the light can be overwhelming. Sometimes we may even find it more comfortable to retreat back into darkness. So we need to constantly remember the truth of who God is, the reality of the world in which we live, and who we are.

Let’s remind ourselves once again who Jesus is by reading aloud the “Christ hymn” found in Colossians 1:15-20:

The Son is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in Him all things were created:
things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible,
whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities;
all things have been created through him and for him.
He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
And He is the head of the body, the church,
He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead,
so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him,
and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things,
whether things on earth or things in heaven,
by making peace through His blood, shed on the cross.

Oh, how great are You, Lord. Root this truth deep in our hearts as we continue to work our way through Colossians. Teach us to walk in the Kingdom of Light and remind us the powers of darkness no longer rule us. Let our every breath glorify You, Lord. Amen and Amen!

Praying for you in your journey.

Stacy & Carol